Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spring Brunch

Spring is here!! Enjoying brunch on the patio outside is great way to spend time with your family. My brother from out of town and his wife were visiting for the weekend, so we had my other brother and his family over for a Saturday morning brunch. We had egg frittatas, sausage, berry cobbler, fruit, coffee, and of course mimosas! I prepped a lot of the food the night before to make it an easy morning. I cut and cooked the egg fixings the night before and had the berries washed and ready to go for the cobbler. This is also a great brunch for any vegetarians. You can make eggs with any vegetables you want and serve the meat as a side. I hope you enjoy this simple brunch that makes both kids and adults happy.

Egg Frittatas

10 eggs
3 T. cream
1 green pepper chopped and sauteed
1 shallot chopped and sauteed
2 tomatoes chopped
1/2 C. shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt & Pepper
Leaves of 12 sprigs of Thyme
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375

Prepare

Liberally spray one cupcake tin with the cooking spray. Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Whisk the eggs together and then add in the cream, salt, pepper, and thyme. Using a cupcake tin, fill the tin 1/4 the way full with your favorite veggies. Fill each tin 1/2 way with the egg mixture. The eggs will rise in the oven. Sprinkle your favorite cheese into each tin. For pickier eaters, reserves a few tins for just eggs and cheese.
















Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the eggs are just about set in the center. Use a knife to loosen the edges around the tin and serve on a platter.



Berry Cobbler


3 c. almond flour
2 ripe banana
3 eggs
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
2 t. apple pie spice
1 T. melted coconut oil
1/3 c. maple syrup
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped toasted pecans
Ghee to coat the muffin tin cups
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen berries (fresh is always better)
2 T. honey

Prepare

Coat a medium sized casserole dish with cooking spray, ghee, or butter. Layer the berries at the bottom of the dish. Pour two tablespoons of honey over the berries and toss together.


Combine the almond flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium size bowl. Add in the mashed ripe banana, eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, and maple syrup to the same bowl. Mix in the pumpkin pie spice. Spread this mixture of the berries evenly. Sprinkle the chopped pecans over top.




Cook for 30-40 minutes at 350.






I cooked the cobbler first so it could cool while I cooked the eggs right before my guest arrived. While the eggs cooked, I used a large pan to heat up some precooked chicken apple sausage.


Have a favorite frittata ingredient? What do you like best about brunch? Please share!

4 comments:

  1. What I like best about brunch is spending time with one of my favorite sister and brother-in-laws! :)











    And mimosas too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think that mimosas and spending time with your favorite people makes any brunch awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made the egg frittatas and can't get over how easy they are. I didn't have a bunch of veggies so I threw some raw green peppers in along with some cheese. They are awesome. It's crazy how big and fluffy they get in the oven, but they go down to a normal size while cooling. Love this recipe!

    My favorite part about brunch is the laid back of lounging on a patio, kids running around aunts and uncle, mimosas in hand and a full belly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill! I made the frittatas and the cobbler this weekend! So good! I used a bigger muffin pan for the frittatas so I made 6 instead of 12, and put a lovely sprig of rosemary on top! Tasty, pretty, and a quick, easy breakfast for me the past couple of days. The cobbler was amazing. I think I cut my berries too small and they kind of shrunk in the baking process, so I ended up with maybe 1/4 berries:3/4 cobbler. Which was delicious! But I'll probably add more berries next time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete